Annual Survey of Jails: Jurisdiction-Level Data, 2000 (ICPSR 3882)
This collection provides annual data on jail populations across the nation and examines the "spillover" on local jails resulting from the dramatic growth in federal and state prison populations. These data are used to track growth in the number of jails and their capacities nationally, changes in the demographics of the jail population (including sex, race, and adult or juvenile status), supervision status of persons held, prevalence of crowding issues, and a count of non-United States citizens within the jail population.
The public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. ANNUAL SURVEY OF JAILS: JURISDICTION-LEVEL DATA, 2000. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. ICPSR03882-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 2008-03-27. https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03882.v1
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03882.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Sample: Based on information from the 1999 Census of Jails, a sample of jail jurisdictions was selected for the 2000 survey. The sample included all public and private jails in 877 selected jail jurisdictions (in which there were a total of 947 reporting units) and 45 regional jails. The sample selection was designed to yield a coefficient of variation of 1 percent of average daily population and one-day inmate population. Large jails and regional jails were in the sample with certainty.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2004-02-24
- 2008-03-27 Codebook was updated to correct errors. No other changes were made to any other files.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- List all ~11 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.