Annual Survey of Jails: Jurisdiction-Level Data, 1998 (ICPSR 2682)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This collection provides annual data on jail populations across the nation and examines the "spillover" on local jails resulting from the dramatic growth in federal and state prison populations. These data are used to track growth in the number of jails and their capacities nationally, changes in the demographics of the jail population (including sex, race, and adult or juvenile status), supervision status of persons held, prevalence of crowding issues, and a count of non-U.S. citizens within the jail population. A special addendum to the 1998 survey included data on the prevalence and results of drug testing and treatment in jails.
These data are available to the general public.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. ANNUAL SURVEY OF JAILS: JURISDICTION-LEVEL DATA, 1998. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 2001. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02682.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02682.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: correctional facilities, correctional system, demographic characteristics, drug testing, drugs, jail inmates, jails, overcrowding effects, population characteristics, probation, treatment programs
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Includes all jail jurisdictions (i.e. counties, municipalities, boroughs, etc.) identified through the 1993 Census of Jails.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) This collection was formerly titled NATIONAL SURVEY OF JAILS: JURISDICTION-LEVEL DATA. (2) The codebook and data collection instrument are provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
Sample: Based on information from the 1993 Census of Jails, a sample of jail jurisdictions was selected for the 1994-1998 surveys. The sample included all public and private jails in 789 selected jail jurisdictions and 25 multi-jurisdiction jails. The sample selection was designed to yield a coefficient of variation of 1 percent of average daily population and one-day inmate population. Large jails and multi-jurisdiction jails were in the sample with certainty.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2001-07-26
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 2001-10-01 At the request of the principal investigator, the title was changed from NATIONAL SURVEY OF JAILS: JURISDICTION-LEVEL DATA, 1998 to ANNUAL SURVEY OF JAILS: JURISDICTION-LEVEL DATA, 1998, to more accurately reflect the scope of the survey. Corresponding documentation files have been updated to reflect the change in title.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)