Uniform Crime Reporting Program Data [United States]: County-Level Detailed Arrest and Offense Data, 1989 (ICPSR 9573)
The files in this collection contain counts of arrests and offenses for Part 1 and Part 2 offenses: murder, rape, robbery, assault, burglary, larceny, auto theft, arson, forgery, fraud, embezzlement, vandalism, weapons violations, sex offenses, drug and alcohol abuse violations, gambling, vagrancy, curfew violations, and runaways. County populations are also reported.
The public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation. UNIFORM CRIME REPORTING PROGRAM DATA [UNITED STATES]: COUNTY-LEVEL DETAILED ARREST AND OFFENSE DATA, 1989. ICPSR version. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation [producer], 1989. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1997. https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09573.v1
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09573.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: arrests, arson, assault, auto theft, burglary, counties, crime rates, crime reporting, crime statistics, drug abuse, fraud, illegal gambling, larceny, law enforcement, murder, offenses, rape, robbery, sex offenses, Uniform Crime Reports, vandalism
Geographic Coverage: United States
(1) Data have been aggregated to the county level. Within each county, data for agencies reporting 6 to 11 months of information were weighted to produce 12-month equivalents. Data from agencies reporting only statewide figures were allocated to counties proportionate to their share of the state population. (2) The codebook is provided as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided through the ICPSR Website on the Internet.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1992-01-10
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 5 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-12-12 SAS and SPSS data definition statements are now available for this collection, and minor formatting changes were made to the codebook. In addition, the codebook is now available as a PDF file.
- List all ~110 citations associated with this study
- List ~2 citations that match your query
- View citations for the entire series
Top Publications that Match your Query
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.