Uniform Crime Reporting Program Data [United States]: Detailed Arrest and Offense Data for 321 Counties, 1988 (ICPSR 9470)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Federal Bureau of Investigation
The files in this collection contain counts of arrests and offenses for Part I and Part II offenses: murder, rape, robbery, assault, burglary, larceny, auto theft, arson, forgery, fraud, embezzlement, vandalism, weapons violations, sex offenses, drug and alcohol abuse violations, gambling, vagrancy, curfew violations, and runaways. County populations are also reported. Data are included for 321 counties in the United States.
These data are freely available.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation. UNIFORM CRIME REPORTING PROGRAM DATA [UNITED STATES]: DETAILED ARREST AND OFFENSE DATA FOR 321 COUNTIES, 1988. ICPSR version. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation [producer], 1989. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09470.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09470.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: arrests, arson, assault, auto theft, burglary, counties, crime rates, crime reporting, crime statistics, drug abuse, fraud, illegal gambling, larceny, law enforcement, murder, offenses, rape, robbery, sex offenses, Uniform Crime Reports, vandalism
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: County law enforcement agencies in the United States.
Data Types: aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) Data have been aggregated to the county level. Within each county, data for agencies reporting 6 to 11 months of information were weighted to produce 12-month equivalents. Data from agencies reporting only statewide figures were allocated to counties proportionate to their share of the state population. (2) These files are a subset of UNIFORM CRIME REPORTS: COUNTY LEVEL DETAILED ARREST AND OFFENSE DATA, 1988 (ICPSR 9335), and were created to be used with NATIONAL JUDICIAL REPORTING PROGRAM, 1988: [UNITED STATES] (ICPSR 9449). Users wishing to replicate figures in the Bureau of Justice Statistics report entitled "Felony Sentences in State Courts, 1988" should use both this collection and ICPSR 9449.
Sample: Counties were selected to match those chosen for NATIONAL JUDICIAL REPORTING PROGRAM, 1988: [UNITED STATES] (ICPSR 9449).
self-enumerated forms based on official police records
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1991-05-03
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 6 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 5 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-09-19 SAS and SPSS data definition statements have been added to this collection.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)