Uniform Crime Reports: Arrest Data for the 75 Most Populous Counties in the United States, 1986 (ICPSR 9163)
The files in this collection contain counts of arrests and offenses for Part I, Index Offenses, and Part II, Other Offenses: murder, rape, robbery, assault, burglary, larceny, auto theft, arson, forgery, fraud, embezzlement, vandalism, weapons violations, sex offenses, drug and alcohol abuse violations, gambling, vagrancy, curfew, and runaways. County populations are also reported.
The public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation. UNIFORM CRIME REPORTS: ARREST DATA FOR THE 75 MOST POPULOUS COUNTIES IN THE UNITED STATES. 2nd ICPSR version. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation [producer], 1986. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2004. https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09163.v2
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09163.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: arrests, arson, assault, auto theft, burglary, counties, crime rates, crime reporting, crime statistics, drug abuse, fraud, illegal gambling, larceny, law enforcement, murder, offenses, rape, robbery, sex offenses, Uniform Crime Reports, vandalism, weapons offenses
Geographic Coverage: United States
(1) Data have been aggregated to the county level. Within each county, data for agencies reporting six to eleven months of information were weighted to produce twelve month equivalents. Data from agencies reporting only statewide figures were allocated to counties proportionate to their share of the state population. (2) The codebook is provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
Original ICPSR Release: 1989-05-04
- 2006-03-30 File CB9163.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 2004-06-10 The data were converted from OSIRIS to logical record length format, SAS and SPSS data definition statements were created for both data files, and the documentation was updated to reflect the new format.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.