Uniform Crime Reports: County Level Arrest and Offense Data, 1986 (ICPSR 9119)
This data collection contains county-level counts of arrests and offenses for Part I offenses (murder, rape, robbery, assault, burglary, larceny, auto theft, and arson) and arrest counts for Part II offenses (forgery, fraud, embezzlement, vandalism, weapons violations, sex offenses, drug and alcohol abuse violations, gambling, vagrancy, curfew violations, and runaways). Two sets of county populations are reported: one for total county population and the other for counties reporting six months or more of data.
The public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation. UNIFORM CRIME REPORTS: COUNTY LEVEL ARREST AND OFFENSE DATA, 1986. 2nd ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1998. https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09119.v2
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09119.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: arrests, arson, assault, auto theft, burglary, counties, crime rates, crime reporting, crime statistics, drug abuse, fraud, illegal gambling, larceny, law enforcement, murder, offenses, rape, robbery, sex offenses, Uniform Crime Reports, vandalism, weapons offenses
Geographic Coverage: United States
Data have been aggregated to the county level. Within each county, data for agencies reporting 6 to 11 months of information were weighted to yield 12-month equivalents. Agencies reporting fewer than 6 months of data were excluded from the aggregation. Data from agencies reporting only statewide figures were allocated to counties in proportion to each county's share of the state population (which totaled the populations of those county agencies reporting 6 months or more of data).
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1989-03-03
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1998-07-28 All four data files have been reprocessed. The case count has changed from 3,133 to 3,136 to accurately reflect the number of FIPS codes listed in the appendix of the codebook, and arrest data for Part II offenses have been added to Parts 1-3.
- List all ~82 citations associated with this study
- List ~1 citations that match your query
- View citations for the entire series
Top Publications that Match your Query
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.