Uniform Crime Reports [United States]: Supplementary Homicide Reports, 1976-1994 (ICPSR 6754)
Principal Investigator(s): Fox, James Alan
These data provide incident-level information on criminal homicides including date, location, circumstances, and method of offense, as well as demographic characteristics of victims and perpetrators and the relationship between the two. The data were provided monthly to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) by local law enforcement agencies participating in the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting Program. For this dataset, the original Uniform Crime Reports data were completely restructured into a nested, or hierarchical, form with repeating offender records. Specifically, the file contains one record for each agency per year (record type "A"), nested within which is one record per incident (record type "I"). Victim records (record type "V") are in turn nested within incident records, and offender data are repeated for all offenders on each victim record. The data file structure is the same as that used in UNIFORM CRIME REPORTS [UNITED STATES]: SUPPLEMENTARY HOMICIDE REPORTS, 1976-1992 (ICPSR 6387), except that negligent manslaughters, justifiable homicides, and one variable (RETAHOM) are not available in this updated file. Part 2, ORI List, contains Originating Agency Identifier codes used by the FBI, along with the corresponding agency name.
These data are freely available.
Fox, James Alan. Uniform Crime Reports [United States]: Supplementary Homicide Reports, 1976-1994. ICPSR06754-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2002. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06754.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06754.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics (OJP-94-091-M, OJP-95-282-M, and 95-RU-RX-K-003)
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Homicides in the United States from January 1976 through December 1994.
Data Types: event/transaction data, and aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
These data were restructured, reformatted, and cleaned at the College of Criminal Justice, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts.
records from police and sheriff departments
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1996-10-01
- 2006-01-18 File CB6754.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2002-03-01 Corrections were made to the introduction of the codebook, which is now being distributed as a PDF file. The SAS data definition statement file is no longer designated as a separate part. The part numbers were adjusted accordingly.
- View publications for the study (~57)
- View publications for the series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)