Principal Investigator(s): Fox, James Alan
These data provide incident-level information on criminal homicides including date, location, circumstances, and method of offense, as well as demographic characteristics of victims and perpetrators and the relationship between the two. For this dataset, the original Uniform Crime Reports data were completely restructured into a nested, or hierarchical, form with repeating records. Specifically, the file contains one record for each agency per year (record type "A"), nested within which is one record per incident (record type "I"). Victim records (record type "V") are in turn nested within incident records, and offender data are repeated for all offenders on each victim record. Part 3, ORI List, contains Originating Agency Identifier (ORI) codes used by the FBI and the corresponding agency name.
These data are freely available.
Fox, James Alan. Uniform Crime Reports [United States]: Supplementary Homicide Reports, 1976-1992. ICPSR06387-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1994. doi:10.3886/ICPSR06387.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06387.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics (84-BJ-CX-0010 and OJP-94-091-M)
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Homicides in the United States from January 1976 through December 1992.
Data Types: event/transaction data, and aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
The data were provided monthly to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) by local law enforcement agencies participating in the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting Program. These data were restructured, reformatted, and cleaned at the College of Criminal Justice, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts.
records from police and sheriff departments
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1995-03-16
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~57 citations associated with this study
- List ~1 citations that match your query
- View citations for the entire series
Top Publications that Match your Query
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)