Uniform Crime Reporting Program Data [United States]: Supplementary Homicide Reports, 1999 (ICPSR 3162)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Federal Bureau of Investigation
Since 1930, the Federal Bureau of Investigation has compiled the Uniform Crime Reports (UCR) to serve as a periodic nationwide assessment of reported crimes not available elsewhere in the criminal justice system. Each year, participating law enforcement agencies contribute reports either directly or through their state reporting programs. Summary data are provided in four types of files: (1) Offenses Known and Clearances by Arrest, (2) Property Stolen and Recovered, (3) Supplementary Homicide Reports (SHR), and (4) Police Employee (LEOKA) Data. The Supplementary Homicide Reports provide incident-based information on criminal homicides reported to the police. These homicides consist of murders, non-negligent manslaughter, and justifiable homicides. The data, provided monthly by UCR agencies, contain information describing the victim of each homicide, the offender, and the relationship between victim and offender.
These data are available to the general public.
United States Department of Justice. Federal Bureau of Investigation. Uniform Crime Reporting Program Data [United States]: Supplementary Homicide Reports, 1999. ICPSR03162-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2001. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03162.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03162.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Homicide incidents reported by law enforcement agencies.
Data Types: aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
Starting with the year 1998, each of the four parts of the UCR data collection archived by ICPSR is released as a separate study under its own study number. The Supplementary Homicide Reports data for the years 1975-1997 can be found in UNIFORM CRIME REPORTING PROGRAM DATA: [UNITED STATES] (ICPSR 9028).
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2001-05-18
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 2001-10-31 The data definition statements and codebook for this collection were revised to include Variable V152, which was inadvertently omitted. Specifications for V23 and V73 in the SPSS statements were corrected as well.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~58 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.