Uniform Crime Reporting Program Data [United States]: Property Stolen and Recovered, 1998 (ICPSR 2905)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Federal Bureau of Investigation
Since 1930, the Federal Bureau of Investigation has compiled the Uniform Crime Reports (UCR) to serve as periodic nationwide assessments of reported crimes not available elsewhere in the criminal justice system. Law enforcement agencies contribute reports either directly or through their state reporting programs. Each year, this information is reported in four types of files: (1) Offenses Known and Clearances by Arrest, (2) Property Stolen and Recovered, (3) Supplementary Homicide Reports (SHR), and (4) Police Employee (LEOKA) Data. The Property Stolen and Recovered data are collected on a monthly basis by all UCR contributing agencies. These data, aggregated at the agency level, report on the nature of the crime, the monetary value of the property stolen, and the type of property stolen. Similar information regarding recovered property is also included in the data.
These data are available to the general public.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation. UNIFORM CRIME REPORTING PROGRAM DATA [UNITED STATES]: PROPERTY STOLEN AND RECOVERED, 1998. Compiled by U.S. Dept. of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation. ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 2000. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02905.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02905.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: arrests, crime rates, crime reporting, crime statistics, larceny, law enforcement, offenses, property crimes, property crime statistics, stolen property, stolen property recovery, Uniform Crime Reports
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Crimes reported by law enforcement agencies in the United States.
Data Types: aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) UCR data for the years 1975-1997 can be found in UNIFORM CRIME REPORTING PROGRAM DATA [UNITED STATES]: 1975-1997 (ICPSR 9028). Starting with the 1998 data, each of the four types of UCR data files archived by ICPSR receives its own study number for each year. (2) The codebook is provided as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2000-09-11
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)