Uniform Crime Reporting Program Data [United States]: Offenses Known and Clearances by Arrest, 1998 (ICPSR 2904)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Federal Bureau of Investigation
Since 1930, the Federal Bureau of Investigation has compiled the Uniform Crime Reports (UCR) to serve as periodic nationwide assessments of reported crimes not available elsewhere in the criminal justice system. Law enforcement agencies contribute reports either directly or through their state reporting programs. Each year, this information is reported in four types of files: (1) Offenses Known and Clearances by Arrest, (2) Property Stolen and Recovered, (3) Supplementary Homicide Reports (SHR), and (4) Police Employee (LEOKA) Data. The Offenses Known and Clearances by Arrest data files include monthly data on the number of Crime Index offenses reported and the number of offenses cleared by arrest or other means. The counts include all reports of Index Crimes (excluding arson) received from victims, officers who discovered infractions, or other sources.
These data are freely available.
United States Department of Justice. Federal Bureau of Investigation. Uniform Crime Reporting Program Data [United States]: Offenses Known and Clearances by Arrest, 1998. ICPSR02904-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2000. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02904.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02904.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Index crimes reported by law enforcement agencies in the United States.
Data Types: aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
Starting with the year 1998, each of the four parts of the UCR data collection archived by ICPSR is released as a separate study under its own study number. Offenses Known and Clearances by Arrest data for the years 1975-1997 can be found in UNIFORM CRIME REPORTING PROGRAM DATA: [UNITED STATES] (ICPSR 9028).
- Performed consistency checks.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2000-06-21
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (see Notes)
- List all ~74 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)