Principal Investigator(s): Fox, James Alan
These data provide incident-level information on criminal homicides including location, circumstances, and method of offense, as well as demographic characteristics of victims and perpetrators and the relationship between the two. The data were provided monthly to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) by local law enforcement agencies participating in the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting Program.
These data are freely available.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
Fox, James Alan. Uniform Crime Reports [United States]: Supplementary Homicide Reports, 1976-1997. ICPSR02832-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2000. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02832.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02832.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Homicides in the United States from January 1976 through December 1997.
Data Types: aggregate data, event/transaction data, survey data
records from police and sheriff's departments
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2000-01-25
- 2006-03-30 File CB2832.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- List all ~37 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.