Uniform Crime Reporting Program Data [United States]: Arrests by Age, Sex, and Race, 1997 (ICPSR 2742)
Alternate Title: ASR, 1997
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Federal Bureau of Investigation
These data provide information on the number of arrests reported to the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program each year by police agencies in the United States. These arrest reports provide data on 43 offenses including violent crime, drug use, gambling, and larceny. The data received by ICPSR were structured as a hierarchical file containing, per reporting police agency, an agency header record, 1 to 12 monthly header records, and 1 to 43 detail offense records containing the counts of arrests by age, sex, and race for a particular offense. ICPSR restructured the original data to a rectangular format.
These data are freely available.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
United States Department of Justice. Federal Bureau of Investigation. Uniform Crime Reporting Program Data [United States]: Arrests by Age, Sex, and Race, 1997. ICPSR02742-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2006-10-27. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02742.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02742.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: arrests, arson, assault, auto theft, burglary, counties, crime rates, crime reporting, crime statistics, drug abuse, fraud, illegal gambling, larceny, law enforcement, murder, offenses, rape, robbery, sex offenses, Uniform Crime Reports, vandalism, weapons
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Arrests reported to the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Uniform Crime Reporting Program.
Data Types: aggregate data
Mode of Data Collection: mail questionnaire
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2002-07-11
- 2006-10-27 The data file is restructured so that all UCR agencies are included in the file while the previous version only contained the agencies which reported data for this collection.
- View publications for the study (~15)
- View publications for the series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)