Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This study was conducted to provide a consistent and comprehensive description of convicted persons' entrance into and departure from correctional custody and correctional supervision. To accomplish this goal, data were gathered from official state prison records on topics such as race, sex, and age of inmates, length of time in jail, length of time in prison, and type of offense committed. The data were collected from the state prison systems of 36 states, as well as the Federal Prison System, the California Youth Authority, and the District of Columbia.
One or more files in this study are not available for download due to special restrictions ; consult the restrictions note to learn more. You can apply online for access to the data. A login is required to apply for access.
Access to these data is restricted. Users interested in obtaining these data must complete a Restricted Data Use Agreement, specify the reasons for the request, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics. National Corrections Reporting Program, 1988. ICPSR09450-v3. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2010-04-23. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09450.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09450.v3
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: correctional facilities, correctional facilities (juveniles), correctional system, demographic characteristics, federal correctional facilities, jail inmates, juvenile offenders, national crime statistics (USA), offenders, offenses, parole, prison inmates, probation, state correctional facilities
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All persons incarcerated in prisons in the United States.
Data Types: administrative records data, event/transaction data, survey data
Data Collection Notes:
Variables "V25," "V26," and "V58" through "V70" have been recoded and/or recalculated by ICPSR, and may have a format inconsistent with that of other years of National Crime Reporting Program datasets.
Conducted by the United States Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census.
Sample: All people incarcerated in 36 state prisons (plus federal prisons, the California Youth Authority, and the District of Columbia) in 1988.
official prison records of prisoner population movement
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1991-10-23
- 2010-04-23 The entire NCRP series is being re-released in restricted format.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 6 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 5 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 4 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 1997-08-01 The data have been checked for wild or invalid codes, and the codebook and SAS and SPSS data definition statements now document these codes. In addition, the codebook is now available as a PDF file only, and the variable and value labels have been expanded. Also, variables V25, V26, and V58-V70 have been recoded and/or recalculated.
- List all ~41 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)