National Corrections Reporting Program, 1991 (ICPSR 6272)
This study was conducted to provide a consistent and comprehensive description of convicted persons' entrance into and departure from correctional custody and correctional supervision. To accomplish this goal, data were gathered from official state prison records on topics such as race, sex, and age of inmates, length of time in jail, length of time in prison, and type of offense committed. The data were collected from the state prison systems of 35 states, as well as the Federal Prison System, the California Youth Authority, and the District of Columbia.
One or more files in this data collection have special restrictions ; consult the restrictions note to learn more. You can apply online for access to the restricted-use data. A login is required to apply.
Access to these data is restricted. Users interested in obtaining these data must complete a Restricted Data Use Agreement, specify the reasons for the request, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
Any public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics. National Corrections Reporting Program, 1991. ICPSR06272-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2010-04-23. https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06272.v1
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06272.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: correctional facilities, correctional facilities (juveniles), correctional system, demographic characteristics, federal correctional facilities, jail inmates, juvenile offenders, national crime statistics (USA), offenders, offenses, parole, prison inmates, probation, state correctional facilities
Geographic Coverage: United States
Conducted by the United States Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census.
official prison records of prisoner population movement
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1994-10-19
- 2010-04-23 The entire NCRP series is being re-released in restricted format.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 6 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 5 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 4 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 1997-08-01 The data have been checked for wild or invalid codes, and the codebook and SAS and SPSS data definition statements now document these codes. In addition, the codebook is now available as a PDF file only, and the variable and value labels have been expanded.
- List all ~60 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.