Census of State and Local Law Enforcement Agencies (CSLLEA), 2000: [United States] (ICPSR 3484)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
To ensure an accurate sampling frame for its Law Enforcement Management and Administrative Statistics (LEMAS) survey, the Bureau of Justice Statistics periodically sponsors a census of the nation's state and local law enforcement agencies. This census, known as the Directory Survey, includes all state and local law enforcement agencies that are publicly funded and employ at least one full-time or part-time sworn officer with general arrest powers. As in previous years, the 2000 Directory Survey collected data on the number of sworn and nonsworn personnel employed by each agency, including both full-time and part-time employees. The pay period that included June 30, 2000, was the reference date for all personnel data. A 97.4 percent response rate was obtained from the 17,784 state and local law enforcement agencies operating in the United States. This data collection contains June 2000 data from the fourth Directory Survey. Previous directory censuses were conducted in 1986 (DIRECTORY OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES, 1986: [UNITED STATES] [ICPSR 8696]), 1992 (DIRECTORY OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES, 1992: [UNITED STATES] [ICPSR 2266]), and 1996 (DIRECTORY OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES, 1996: [UNITED STATES] [ICPSR 2260]). Variables include personnel totals, type of government, type of agency, and whether the agency had the legal authority to hold a person beyond arraignment for 48 or more hours.
These data are freely available.
United States Department of Justice. Bureau of Justice Statistics. Census of State and Local Law Enforcement Agencies (CSLLEA), 2000: [United States]. ICPSR03484-v4. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2009-07-08. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03484.v4
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03484.v4
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: census data, law enforcement, police departments, police officers
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All police and sheriffs' departments that were publicly funded and employed at least one full-time or part-time sworn officer with general arrest powers.
Data Types: census/enumeration data
- Performed consistency checks.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2002-10-02
- 2009-07-08 Personal names, email addresses, IP or web addresses, and odd entries in V17 and V19 were masked. Telephone and fax numbers in V31 and V33 were also masked.
- 2003-05-09 The data file has been replaced to correct errors in the previous release. The SAS and SPSS data definition statements were also updated.
- 2003-04-18 The data file has been replaced to correct errors that appeared in the original file as submitted by the principal investigator. The variable "V1 State" had the data for Oklahoma and Oregon switched and the data for Michigan and Minnesota combined. The SAS and SPSS data definition statements were updated as well.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~14 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)