Census of Public and Private Juvenile Detention, Correctional, and Shelter Facilities, 1990-1991: [United States] (ICPSR 9824)
Alternate Title: CIC 1991
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
These data provide information on the population and characteristics of public and private juvenile facilities in operation in the United States on February 15, 1991. Annual data for the 1990 calendar year are included as well. Questions designed to categorize each facility were asked concerning the number of adults held, the juvenile majority's custodial authority, reason for custody, and access to the community, as well as the facility's security arrangements, capacity, age, plans for renovation, type of administration, and setting. Extensive data on the total juvenile residential population of each facility was also gathered. The total population is broken down by admission type, legal status, type of offense, race, and age. The collection also contains information on the population's movement and average length of stay, as well as each facility's average daily population, personnel by race, number, and staff position, educational, treatment, and medical programs available, annual expenditures, court orders and consent decrees, and number of juvenile deaths that year.
These data are freely available.
United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. Census of Public and Private Juvenile Detention, Correctional, and Shelter Facilities, 1990-1991: [United States]. ICPSR09824-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2007-10-11. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09824.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09824.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Public and private juvenile detention, correctional, and shelter facilities in operation in the United States on February 15, 1991.
Data Types: administrative records data, survey data
Data Collection Notes:
Compiled by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census.
Sample: Residential programs and group homes in operation on February 15, 1991, were included in the census if they housed three or more residents, if at least 50 percent of the residents were juveniles, and if accused or adjudicated delinquents and status offenders constituted at least 1 percent of their average daily population. In California, however, all California Youth Authority Facilities were included in the census. Juvenile facilities operated as part of adult jails were excluded, as were nonresidential facilities, facilities exclusively for drug or alcohol abusers or nonoffenders, and federal juvenile correctional facilities.
United States Bureau of the Census questionnaires
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1993-10-11
- 2007-10-11 Data files were updated to include ready-to-go files and the ASCII codebook was converted to PDF format.
- 2006-01-18 File QU9824.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 4 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 3 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads
- View publications for the study (~15)
- View publications for the series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)