Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Health and Human Services. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Center for Health Statistics
The purpose of the Health Interview Survey is to obtain information about the amount and distribution of illness, its effects in terms of disability and chronic impairments, and the kinds of health services people receive. There are five types of records in this core survey, each in a separate data file. The variables in the Household File (Part 1) include type of living quarters, size of family, number of families in the household, presence of a telephone, number of unrelated individuals, and region. The Person File (Part 2) includes information on sex, age, race, marital status, Hispanic origin, education, veteran status, family income, family size, major activities, health status, activity limits, employment status, and industry and occupation. These variables are found in the Condition, Doctor Visit, and Hospital Episode Files as well. The Person File also supplies data on height, weight, bed days, doctor visits, hospital stays, years at residence, and region variables. The Condition File (Part 3) contains information for each reported health condition, with specifics on injury and accident reports. The Hospital Episode File (Part 4) provides information on medical conditions, hospital episodes, type of service, type of hospital ownership, date of admission and discharge, number of nights in hospital, and operations performed. The Doctor Visit File (Part 5) documents doctor visits within the time period and identifies acute or chronic conditions. A sixth file has been added, along with the five core files. The Health Insurance File (Part 6) documents basic demographic information along with medical coverage and health insurance plans, as well as differentiates between hospital, doctor visit, and surgical insurance coverage.
These data are freely available.
United States Department of Health and Human Services. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Center for Health Statistics. Health Interview Survey, 1972. ICPSR08337-v4. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2010-09-30. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08337.v4
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08337.v4
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Universe: Civilian, noninstitutionalized population of the United States.
Data Types: clinical data, survey data
Data Collection Notes:
These data files contain weights that must be used in any analysis.
Per agreement with NCHS, ICPSR distributes the data files and text of the technical documentation for this collection as prepared by NCHS.
Sample: A multistage probability sample was used in selecting housing units.
Mode of Data Collection: face-to-face interview
Original ICPSR Release: 1985-05-28
- 2010-09-30 Frequencies and variable labels that were previously incorrect have been corrected.
- 2010-09-09 A technical error has been found and resolved in the processing procedure, in which defined file sets did not match subsequent data sets.
- 2010-09-02 SAS, SPSS, and Stata setup files have been added. Some corresponding documentation has been updated and pre-existing data files have been replaced. A sixth dataset has been added in place of the National Health Survey Procedure Documentation, which can now be found with all other corresponding and added documentation.
- 2006-01-18 File CB8337.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)