Americans View Their Mental Health, 1976 (ICPSR 7948)
Funded in 1975 by the National Institute of Mental Health, this data collection proposed to assess the quality of American life and to influence national policy aimed at enhancing mental health resources. This collection contains 262 variables that were also included in AMERICANS VIEW THEIR MENTAL HEALTH, 1957 (ICPSR 3503). The survey queried American adults on various areas in which problems might arise, including marriage, parenthood, employment, and general social relationships. Information about leisure time, past and present physical and mental health, and motives for affiliation, achievement, and power were also sought. In addition, extensive information was collected concerning help-seeking, the readiness of people to use professional help for mental health problems, the particular helpers they used, referral mechanisms, and evaluation of help received.
Data in this collection are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Please log in so we can determine if you are with a member institution and have access to these data files.
This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Veroff, Joseph, Elizabeth Douvan, and Richard Kulka. Americans View Their Mental Health, 1976. ICPSR07948-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1982. https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07948.v1
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07948.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health. National Institute of Mental Health
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: achievement, career goals, divorce, employment history, happiness, job satisfaction, leisure, marriage, memberships, mental health, motivation, occupations, parenting skills, preferences, psychological wellbeing, quality of life, self concept, social indicators, social roles, social values
Geographic Coverage: United States
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-05-10
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- List all ~27 citations associated with this study
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.