Indonesian Family Life Survey, 1993 (ICPSR 6706)
This release of the 1993 Indonesian Family Life Survey (IFLS-1-PR) is a revised and restructured version of the Wave 1 data. This data collection provides a broad range of economic, demographic, and health information at both the household and community levels across 13 provinces on the islands of Java, Sumatra, Bali, West Nusa Tenggara, Kalimantan, and Sulawesi. A sample of 7,224 households was interviewed during August 1993 through January 1994. Household-level data cover topics such as household characteristics, income, education of both adults and children, marriage histories, inter-household transfers, pregnancy history, and knowledge and use of contraceptives. At the community-facility level, information was gathered from village leaders and heads of village women's groups in each of the 321 enumeration areas (EAs) where the households were located. Questions were asked regarding community characteristics (transportation, water and sanitation, history of schools, and availability of health facilities), nurses, midwives, and paramedics (facility management and family planning history, vignettes on types of care), and traditional health practitioners (buying or making herbal medicines or using services of traditional practitioners, rituals, and incantations). When the household data are combined with the community-facility data, the 1993 Indonesian Family Life Survey provides a unique look at areas of fertility, family planning, infant and child health, education, migration, employment, and the social, economic, and health status of over 7,000 households in a diverse setting during a period of rapid demographic and socioeconomic change.
As of June 2015, there are four waves of data for the IFLS. However, a fifth wave of data collection has begun. Please see the IFLS Web site for more information on how to obtain these data.
The public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
WARNING: Because this study has many datasets, the download all files option has been suppressed, and you will need to download one dataset at a time.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
Gertler, Paul, Lembaga Demografi, and RAND Corporation. Indonesian Family Life Survey, 1993. ICPSR06706-v4. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2003. https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06706.v4
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06706.v4
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health. Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (P01 HD028372, R01 HD040384, P50 HD012639)
- United States Agency for International Development
- Ford Foundation
- World Health Organization
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: child health, community health, education, employment, families, family planning, family size, family structure, fertility, health, health care facilities, households, income, infant mortality, population migration, reproductive history, social change, social networks, traditional healers, traditional medicine
The codebooks, data collection instruments, and other documentation have been provided by RAND as Portable Document Format (PDF) files, except for Part 164, Documentation for Community/Facility Data--Community Identifier, EA-Based, which is an ASCII text file.
Reference should be made to the codebooks and/or questionnaire for clarification of missing data and value labels.
Questions regarding the use of the IFLS-1 data should be referred to RAND at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sample: Two samples were drawn for this study: Household and Community/Facility. The Household sample consists of a stratified random sample of 7,700 households in 13 Indonesian provinces. The Community/Facility sample was based on availability of facilities to household respondents.
Restrictions: Per agreement with RAND, data and documentation may be used for academic and public policy research purposes only.
Original ICPSR Release: 1997-12-12
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 170 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 169 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 2003-01-31 Part 21 and corresponding data definition statements have been updated to correct column locations.
- 2000-06-23 The data have been reorganized and resupplied by the principal investigator. Users may consult the IFLS-1RR documentation for details on changes to the data collection.
- List all ~148 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.