Census of Population and Housing, 1990 [United States]: Public Use Microdata Sample: 3-Percent Elderly Sample (ICPSR 6219)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Commerce. Bureau of the Census
These data from the 1990 Census comprise a sample of households with at least one person 60 years and older, plus a sample of persons 60 years and older in group quarters. The data are grouped into housing variables and person variables. Housing variables include area type, state and area of residence, farm/nonfarm status, type of structure, year structure was built, vacancy and boarded-up status, number of rooms and bedrooms, presence or absence of a telephone, presence or absence of complete kitchen and plumbing facilities, type of sewage facilities, type of water source, type of heating fuel used, property value, tenure, year moved into house/apartment, type of household/family, type of group quarters, household language, number of persons in the household, number of persons and workers in the family, status of mortgage, second mortgage, and home equity loan, number of vehicles available, household income, sales of agricultural products, payments for rent, mortgage and property tax, condominium fees, mobile home costs, and cost of electricity, water, heating fuel, and flood/fire/hazard insurance. Person variables cover age, sex, relationship to householder, educational attainment, school enrollment, race, Hispanic origin, ancestry, language spoken at home, citizenship, place of birth, year of immigration, place of residence in 1985, marital status, number of children ever born, military service, mobility and personal care limitation, work limitation status, employment status, occupation, industry, class of worker, hours worked last week, weeks worked in 1989, usual hours worked per week, temporary absence from work, place of work, time of departure for work, travel time to work, means of transportation to work, total earnings, total income, wages and salary income, farm and nonfarm self-employment income, Social Security income, public assistance income, retirement income, and rent, dividends, and net rental income.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download these data.
This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
WARNING: Because this study has many datasets, the download all files option has been suppressed, and you will need to download one dataset at a time.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING, 1990 [UNITED STATES]: PUBLIC USE MICRODATA SAMPLE: 3-PERCENT ELDERLY SAMPLE. ICPSR version. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census [producer], 1994. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1995. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06219.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06219.v1
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: aging, census data, demographic characteristics, ethnicity, household composition, household expenses, housing, housing conditions, income, job history, older adults, personal finances, population, population characteristics, public assistance, retirees, retirement income, states (USA), wages and salaries
Geographic Coverage: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, United States, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington
Date of Collection:
Universe: All households with at least one person 60 years and older, plus all persons 60 and older residing in group quarters.
Data Types: census data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) Parts 1 through 80 are revised files released by the Census Bureau in 1994. (2) The data are organized in a two-level hierarchy comprising housing records and person records. Housing records contain 114 variables. Person records have 125 variables. Each occupied housing unit is represented by a single housing record followed by one or more person records, one for each person in the household. Vacant housing units are represented by a single housing record without any attendant person records. Each person residing in group quarters is represented by a single housing record followed by a single person record. (3) Appendix G of the codebook (PUMS maps) is available only in hardcopy form upon request from ICPSR. (4) Public Use Microdata Areas (PUMAs) are documented in Part 84. Planning and Service Areas (PSAs) are documented in Part 85.
Sample: Stratified random sample.
Original ICPSR Release: 1996-02-12
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 83 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 82 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 81 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 80 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.