Survey of Community, Crime, and Health, 1995, 1998 [United States] (ICPSR 4381)
Principal Investigator(s): Ross, Catherine E., University of Texas at Austin. Department of Sociology and Population Research Center; Britt, Chester, Arizona State University. Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology
The Survey of Community, Crime, and Health (CCH) was conducted in 1995 and 1998 in Illinois to examine the relationship between neighborhood disadvantage and physical and mental health, (over and above individual socio-economic characteristics), in order to develop a measure of perceived neighborhood disorder and to explore its role in explaining that relationship. Interviews were conducted with 2,482 respondents and covered topics such as physical health, mental health, health behaviors, use of services, and sense of control. Also examined were social support, perceived neighborhood characteristics, neighborhood social support, and personal and household demographics. In addition to individual-level variables, Wave I of the CCH contains a number of community-level variables that were created from the 1990 STF Census data. Variable names starting with T are tract-level, variables starting with C are county-level, and variables starting with P are city-level.
These data are available to the general public.
Ross, Catherine E., and Chester Britt. Survey of Community, Crime, and Health, 1995, 1998 [United States]. ICPSR04381-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2010-09-21. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR04381.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR04381.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health (RO1 MH51558)
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: Illinois, United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: English-speaking adults living in Illinois.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
Wave I may be merged with Wave II on the variable ID.
Sample: Probability sampling was used.
Mode of Data Collection: telephone interview
- Performed consistency checks.
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
- Standardized missing values.
- Created online analysis version with question text.
Original ICPSR Release: 2006-03-06
- 2010-09-21 Documentation has been updated.
- 2008-11-19 New files were added. These files included one or more of the following: Stata setup, SAS transport (CPORT), SPSS system, Stata system, SAS supplemental syntax, and Stata supplemental syntax files, and a tab-delimited ASCII data file.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~14 citations associated with this study
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)