National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey, 1998 (ICPSR 2916)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Center for Health Statistics
The NHAMCS provides data from samples of patient records selected from emergency departments (EDs) and outpatient departments (OPDs) of a national sample of hospitals. The resulting national estimates describe the use of hospital ambulatory medical care services in the United States. For the 1998 survey, data were collected from 239 OPDs and 398 EDs. Among the variables included are age, race, and sex of the patient, reason for the visit, physician's diagnoses, cause of injury (ED only), surgical procedures (OPD only), medication therapy, and expected source of payment.
These data are freely available.
U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics. NATIONAL HOSPITAL AMBULATORY MEDICAL CARE SURVEY, 1998. ICPSR version. Hyattsville, MD: U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics [producer], 2000. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2000. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02916.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02916.v1
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: ambulatory care, health care services, hospitalization, hospitals, emergency services, injuries, medical care, medical evaluation, medical procedures, medical records, patient care, patients, payment methods, surgery, treatment
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Visits to the emergency and outpatient departments of noninstitutional general and short-stay hospitals within the 50 states and the District of Columbia that had an average length of stay of less than 30 days, or hospitals whose specialty was general (medical or surgical) or children's general. Excluded were federal hospitals, hospital units within institutions, and hospitals with less than six beds staffed for patient use.
Data Types: administrative records data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) Per agreement with NCHS, ICPSR distributes the data files and text of the technical documentation for this collection as prepared by NCHS. (2) The codebook is provided as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided through the ICPSR Website on the Internet.
Sample: The NHAMCS used a four-stage probability design with samples of PSUs, hospitals within PSUs, clinics within hospitals, and patient visits within clinics.
patient visit records from hospital emergency departments and outpatient departments
Original ICPSR Release: 2000-08-01
- 2006-01-18 File CB2916.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- View publications for the study (~19)
- View publications for the series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)