Aging of Veterans of the Union Army: Surgeons' Certificates, 1860-1940 (ICPSR 2877)
This data collection constitutes a portion of the historical data collected by the project "Early Indicators of Later Work Levels, Disease, and Death." With the goal of constructing datasets suitable for longitudinal analyses of factors affecting the aging process, the project collects military, medical, and socioeconomic data on a sample of white males mustered into the Union Army during the Civil War. The surgeons' certificates contain information from examining physicians to determine eligibility for pension benefits. Also included are questions regarding the age, occupation, residence, and military experience of the veterans. These data can be linked to AGING OF VETERANS OF THE UNION ARMY: MILITARY, PENSION, AND MEDICAL RECORDS, 1820-1940 (ICPSR 6837) and AGING OF VETERANS OF THE UNION ARMY: UNITED STATES FEDERAL CENSUS RECORDS, 1850, 1860, 1900, 1910 (ICPSR 6836) using the variable "recidnum."
Series: Civil War Veterans Series
One or more data files in this study are set up in a non-standard format, such as card image format. Users may need help converting these files before they can be used for analysis.
The public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
Fogel, Robert W., et al. Aging of Veterans of the Union Army: Surgeons' Certificates, 1860-1940. ICPSR02877-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2000. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02877.v1
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02877.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health (NIH-PO1-AG10120)
- National Science Foundation (NSF-SBR-9114981)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: aging, American Civil War, causes of death, census data, demographic characteristics, disease, health status, labor force, medical records, midlife, military pensions, military recruitment, military service, mortality rates, nineteenth century, nutrition, socioeconomic status, twentieth century, Union Army, veterans
Geographic Coverage: United States
(1) This collection contains 81,877 cases that are split into nine files. Users should refer to the Supplemental Documentation for information on merging these files. (2) There are multiple observations per individual. An individual observation can be identified by the unique combination of the variables "recidnum" and "examnum."
surgeons' certificates from Civil War pension records stored at the National Archives in Washington, DC
Original ICPSR Release: 2000-06-21
- 2006-01-18 File DOC2877.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-18 File CB2877.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.