Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Center for Health Statistics
This data collection contains information on all deaths processed by the National Center for Health Statistics for calendar year 1987. Each record in the file includes data on underlying cause and multiple cause of death. Data cover date of death, geographic location (region, state, county, division) of death, residence of the deceased (region, state, county, city, population size), and sex, race, age, marital status, state of birth, origin or descent, kind of business, and occupation of the deceased. The underlying causes of death are coded from the MANUAL OF THE INTERNATIONAL STATISTICAL CLASSIFICATION OF DISEASES, INJURIES, AND CAUSE-OF-DEATH, NINTH REVISION (ICD-9) VOLUMES 1 AND 2.
Series: Multiple Cause of Death Series
These data are freely available.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Center for Health Statistics. Multiple Cause of Death, 1987. ICPSR09724-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-10-10. doi:10.3886/ICPSR09724.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09724.v1
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All deaths in the United States during 1987.
Data Types: administrative records data
Data Collection Notes:
Per agreement with NCHS, ICPSR distributes the data file(s) and technical documentation in this collection in their original form as prepared by NCHS.
individual death certificates
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
- Standardized missing values.
- Created online analysis version with question text.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1992-10-31
- 2008-10-10 New files were addded. These files included one or more of the following: Stata setup, SPSS setup, SAS setup, SAS transport (CPORT), SPSS system, Stata system, SAS supplemetal syntax, and Stata supplemental syntax, and a tab-delimited ASCII data file.
- List all ~102 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.