Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Center for Health Statistics
The National Ambulatory Medical Care Surveys (NAMCS) supply data on ambulatory medical care provided in physicians' offices. The 1985 survey, the tenth in a series of annual surveys, contains information from approximately 2,879 physicians. Data are available on the number of office visits by the patient, the nature and length of the visits, the patient's problem, the physician's diagnosis, and the kinds of diagnostic and therapeutic services rendered. Information is also included on the physician's specialization, type of practice, and geographical location. Demographic information on patients was also collected.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download the data.
This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Center for Health Statistics. National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey, 1985. ICPSR08902-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-09-15. doi:10.3886/ICPSR08902.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08902.v1
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Office visits made within the contiguous United States by ambulatory patients of nonfederal physicians who were primarily involved in office practice, but not engaged in the specialties of radiology, pathology, or anesthesiology.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) Within the series of questions on medication ordered or provided (Item 16) an undocumented code, 32690, appears on several records. This response likely can be disregarded because other variables relating to medication provided contain missing data whenever associated with the undocumented code.
Sample: National multistage probability sample.
patient records, and self-enumerated forms
Original ICPSR Release: 1989-03-03
- 2008-09-15 SAS, SPSS, and Stata setup files have been added to this data collection.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~35 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)