Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practice of Contraception in Taiwan: Sixth Province-Wide Fertility Survey (KAP VI), 1986 (ICPSR 6867)
Principal Investigator(s): Sun, Te-Hsiung; Chang, Ming-Cheng; Lee, Mei-Ling; Lin, Hui-Sheng
The last of six province-wide surveys of married women in Taiwan was conducted in 1986 to add to the information previously gathered in 1965 (KAP I, ICPSR 6862), 1967 (KAP II, ICPSR 6863), 1970 (KAP III, ICPSR 6864), 1973 (KAP IV, ICPSR 6865), and 1979 (KAP V, ICPSR 6866) regarding women's knowledge of, attitudes toward, and practice of contraception. In addition to continuing questions about family relations, fertility, family planning, and family demographics, this survey gathered additional information on current and past residential arrangements and whether the parents lived with any of the husband's married siblings. Also examined were employment and nonfamily residence prior to marriage, along with an in-depth look at the courtship process itself, including how the couple met, dating, and engagement. Demographic information such as age, education, employment, and family history was collected for both husband and wife.
Sun, Te-Hsiung, Ming-Cheng Chang, Mei-Ling Lee, and Hui-Sheng Lin. Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practice of Contraception in Taiwan: Sixth Province-Wide Fertility Survey (KAP VI), 1986. ICPSR06867-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2002. doi:10.3886/ICPSR06867.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06867.v1
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: attitudes, beliefs, birth control, cultural traditions, family background, family planning, family relations, fertility, knowledge (awareness), marriage, pregnancy, premarital sex, reproductive history, sexual behavior, women
Date of Collection:
Universe: Married women aged 20-49 in nonaboriginal townships in Taiwan.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
The codebook and data collection instrument are provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file and the frequencies are provided as two PDF files. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
Sample: Stratified multistage probability sample.
Original ICPSR Release: 1999-11-10
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 2002-02-26 The codebook for this collection has been updated. It now includes a listing of the geographic variables that were removed from the dataset to preserve respondent privacy along with contact information to obtain access to these identifiers.
- List all ~13 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)