Current Population Survey: Annual Demographic File, 1978 (ICPSR 7836)
This data collection supplies standard monthly labor force data as well as supplemental data on work experience, income, and migration. Comprehensive information is given on the employment status, occupation, and industry of persons 14 years old and older. Additional data are available concerning weeks worked and hours per week worked, reason not working full-time, total income and income components, and residence. Information on demographic characteristics, such as age, sex, race, marital status, veteran status, household relationship, educational attainment, and Hispanic origin, is available for each person in the household enumerated.
Series: Current Population Survey Series
Data in this collection are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Please log in so we can determine if you are with a member institution and have access to these data files.
This study is provided by Resource Center for Minority Data (RCMD).
U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. CURRENT POPULATION SURVEY: ANNUAL DEMOGRAPHIC FILE, 1978. ICPSR07836-v2. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census [producer], 1979. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-03-28. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07836.v2
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07836.v2
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: census data, demographic characteristics, employment, Hispanic origins, households, income, job history, labor force, occupational mobility, population characteristics, population estimates, unemployment, working hours
Geographic Coverage: United States
(1) This hierarchical file contains a total of 282,054 records and approximately 340 variables. There are 67,900 household records, of which 54,762 are interviewed households. There are 41,459 family records, 785 subfamily records, 191 secondary family records, and 155,706 person records. Household records contain approximately 40 variables, family records contain approximately 80 variables, and person records contain approximately 220 variables. (2) All records contain weights, which must be used in any analysis.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-06-28
- 2008-03-28 The codebook was updated to include Appendix A and the database dictionary and occupation classifications were revised.
- List all ~217 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.