New Council members elected; Saenz named Council Chair
ICPSR is pleased to welcome six new Council members, and to announce the appointment of Council member Rogelio Saenz to a two-year term as Council Chair.
After a vote of ICPSR Official Representatives, the following members will start their four-year terms on the Council at its meeting in March in Ann Arbor (full bios are available here):
- Christopher Achen is the Roger Williams Straus Professor of Social Sciences, Professor of Politics at Princeton University. His research interest is political methodology, particularly its application to empirical democratic theory, American politics, and international relations.
- Marilyn Andrews is the Data Librarian in Spatial and Numeric Data Services at the Dr. Archer Library, University of Regina. She has held various positions at the university, including Archives Librarian, Science Reference Librarian, Government Publications Librarian, and Acting Associate Librarian (Client Services). She has also carried out subject liaison responsibilities for multiple disciplines.
- Tony Brown is an Associate Director, Center for Research on Health Disparities and an Associate Professor, Department of Sociology at Vanderbilt University. His research interests are in critical race theory, cultural competencies, health disparities, medical sociology, quantitative methods, race and racism, race socialization, racial attitudes, racial identity, social psychology, sociology of mental health, and survey methods.
- Susan Cutter is a Carolina Distinguished Professor of Geography at the University of South Carolina where she directs the Hazards and Vulnerability Research Institute, a research and training center that integrates geographical information processing techniques with hazards analysis and management. Her primary research interests are in the area of disaster vulnerability/resilience science -- what makes people and the places where they live vulnerable to extreme events and how vulnerability and resilience are measured, monitored, and assessed.
- John Fox is the Senator William McMaster Professor of Social Statistics in the Sociology Department of McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. He serves on the Advisory Committee for the ICPSR Summer Program in Quantitative Methods and has delivered numerous lectures and workshops on statistical topics, at places such as the ICPSR Summer Program, the annual meetings of the American Sociological Association, and the Oxford Spring School in Quantitative Methods for Social Research.
- Linda Waite is the Lucy Flower Professor of Urban Sociology; Co-Director, MD/PhD Program in Medicine, the Social Sciences, and Aging, Pritzker School of Medicine at the University of Chicago. Her research interests include social demography, aging, the family, health, working families, and the link between biology, psychology, and the social world. She is a senior fellow at NORC.
Rogelio Saenz, the new Chair, is Dean of the College of Public Policy at the University of Texas at San Antonio. He is also a Policy Fellow of the Carsey Institute at the University of New Hampshire.
The new members replace the following members whose terms have expired:
- Ann Wolpert, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (who will serve for one more year as Past Chair)
- Francine Berman, Renssalaer Polytechnic Institute
- Thomas LaVeist, Johns Hopkins University
- Jeffrey Moon, Queen's University
- Lori Weber, California State University at Chico
- Christopher Zorn, Pennsylvania State University
The Council meets three times a year, and acts on administrative, budgetary, and organizational issues on behalf of all the members of ICPSR.
You can also view other ICPSR announcements.