Census of Population and Housing, 1990 [United States]: Public Use Microdata Sample: 5-Percent Sample (ICPSR 9952)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Commerce. Bureau of the Census
The Public Use Microdata Sample (PUMS) 5-Percent Sample contains household and person records for a sample of housing units that received the "long form" of the 1990 Census questionnaire. Data items cover the full range of population and housing information collected in the 1990 Census, including 500 occupation categories, age by single years up to 90, and wages in dollars up to $140,000. Each person identified in the sample has an associated household record, containing information on household characteristics such as type of household and family income.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING, 1990 [UNITED STATES]: PUBLIC USE MICRODATA SAMPLE: 5-PERCENT SAMPLE. 3rd ICPSR release. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census [producer], 1995. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1996. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09952.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09952.v3
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: age, census data, demographic characteristics, employment, ethnicity, household composition, household income, housing, housing conditions, occupations, population, states (USA), unemployment, wages and salaries, working hours
Geographic Coverage: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, United States, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington
Date of Collection:
Universe: All persons and housing units in the United States.
Data Types: census data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) All PUMS files were resupplied by the Census Bureau during the summer of 1993 and Group Quarters data were resupplied in 1996. ICPSR has incorporated extensive user notes into the machine-readable codebook. The Revised Group Quarters data files contain group quarters data that supersede those included in the full data files (Datasets 0001 through 0056). The group quarters variables with errors in the original files are POWSTATE, POWPUMA, MIGSTATE, and MIGPUMA. These errors are corrected in the Revised Group Quarters Data files. (2) Although all records are 231 characters in length, each file is hierarchical in structure, containing a housing unit record followed by a variable number of person records. Both record types contain approximately 120 variables. Two improvements over the 1980 PUMS files have been incorporated. First, the housing unit serial number is identified on both the housing unit record and on the person record, allowing the file to be processed as a rectangular file. In addition, each person record is assigned an individual weight, allowing users to more closely approximate published reports. Unlike previous years, the 1990 PUMS 1-Percent and 5-Percent Samples have not been released in separate geographic series (known as "A," "B," etc. records). Instead, each sample has its own set of geographies, known as "Public Use Microdata Areas" (PUMAs), established by the Census Bureau with assistance from each State Data Center. The PUMAs in the 5-Percent Sample are based on counties and places within states. Each PUMA is a county or place, or groups thereof, except when the county or place contains more than 200,000 inhabitants. In that case, the county or place is divided into several PUMAs. PUMAs in this 5-Percent Sample do not cross state lines.
Sample: A stratified sample, consisting of a sub-sample of the household units that received the 1990 Census "long-form" questionnaire (approximately 15.9 percent of all housing units).
Original ICPSR Release: 1993-04-09
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 85 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 83 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 82 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 81 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 80 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- View publications for the study (~87)
- View publications for the series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)