Principal Investigator(s): Rosenthal, Howard L.; Poole, Keith T.
Roll call voting records for the United States House of Representatives and Senate through the 100th Congress are presented in this data collection. Each data file in the collection contains information for one chamber of a single Congress. The units of analysis are the individual members of the House of Representatives and Senate. Each record contains a member's voting action on every roll call vote taken during that Congress, along with variables that identify the member (e.g., name, party, state, and uniform ICPSR member number). In addition, the codebook provides descriptive information for each roll call, including the date of the vote, outcome in terms of yeas and nays, name of initiator, the relevant bill or resolution number, and a synopsis of the issue.
Rosenthal, Howard L., and Keith T. Poole. UNITED STATES CONGRESSIONAL ROLL CALL VOTING RECORDS, 1789-1990: REFORMATTED DATA. 2nd ICPSR release. Pittsburgh, PA: Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole, Carnegie Mellon University, Graduate School of Industrial Administration [producers], 1991. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2000. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09822.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09822.v2
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: eighteenth century, historical data, legislators, nineteenth century, political history, roll call data, roll call voting records, twentieth century, United States Congress, United States House of Representatives, United States Senate, voting behavior
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All roll call votes in the United States Congress.
Data Types: roll call voting data
Data Collection Notes:
This collection is derived from UNITED STATES CONGRESSIONAL ROLL CALL VOTING RECORDS, 1789-1990 (ICPSR 0004), and differs from that collection in several ways. Codebooks have been standardized in format across all Congresses, and a number of discrepancies in members' identifying information (member identification number, party, etc.) have been corrected.
Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research. UNITED STATES CONGRESSIONAL ROLL CALL VOTING RECORDS, 1789-1990 (ICPSR 0004)
Original ICPSR Release: 1992-10-31
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 201 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2000-07-27 Replacement data files for the House, 1st through 99th Congresses (Parts 1-197, odd) have been provided by the principal investigators. For details on the specific corrections made to this version of the data, users should consult the User Guide. In addition, data for the House's 100th Congress (Part 199) and the entirety of the Senate votes from the 1st-100th Congresses (Parts 2-200, even) have been added, making the collection complete through 1990. Also, a User Guide for All Parts (Part 201) has been added. While the previous version of this collection was available only on diskette, the entire collection is now available online for downloading from the ICPSR Website.
Related Publications (see Notes)
- List all ~23 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)