This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Census of Population and Housing, 1990 [United States]: Summary Tape File 1B (ICPSR 9688)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Commerce. Bureau of the Census
This collection provides 100-percent data for states and their subareas in hierarchical sequence down to the block level. Also included are complete summaries for places, census tract/block numbering areas, block groups, consolidated cities, Alaska Native Regional Corporation, state portion of Metropolitan Statistical Area/Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA/CMSA), and state portion of Urbanized Area. Population items include age, race, sex, marital status, Hispanic origin, household type, and household relationship. Population items are crosstabulated by age, race, Hispanic origin, or sex. Housing items include occupancy/vacancy status, tenure, units in structure, contract rent, meals included in rent, value, and number of rooms in housing unit. Housing data are crosstabulated by race or Hispanic origin of householder or by tenure. Selected aggregates and medians are also provided. Data are presented in 37 population tables and 63 housing tables.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download these data.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING, 1990 [UNITED STATES]: SUMMARY TAPE FILE 1B. ICPSR09688-v2. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census [producer], 1991. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-05-30. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09688.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09688.v2
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: age, census data, census regions, demographic characteristics, ethnicity, Hispanic origins, household composition, housing, housing conditions, population, population characteristics, race, states (USA)
Geographic Coverage: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, United States, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington
Date of Collection:
Universe: All persons and housing units in the United States.
Data Types: census data
Data Collection Notes:
This collection (STF 1B) provides two types of files for each state: a main file and a geographic header file. The latter contains only geographic identification information for all areas summarized in STF 1B and includes records for blocks that have population and housing unit counts of zero. Blocks containing no persons or housing units are NOT included in the main file for each state.
Original ICPSR Release: 1992-01-10
- 2008-05-30 Data were added for Puerto Rico (Parts 72 and 172) which includes data and data dictionary.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 158 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 157 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 88 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 87 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 86 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 81 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.