Law and Finance in Illinois, 1868-1874 (ICPSR 9680)
Principal Investigator(s): Monkkonen, Eric
The first file in this data collection provides information on the delegates to the Illinois Constitutional Convention of 1870. Data include delegate's name, age, party affiliation, county and legislative district, and voting decision on several issues. The second file pertains to the local context of the vote for the Illinois Constitution of 1870, which involved a separate vote on the article forbidding lending by local government to railroads. Variables in the second data file include county, town, city, and total debts, town, city, and total population, assessed value on improvement of city and town lots, land, and railroads, number of towns and cities in each county, and number of corporations in each county.
Monkkonen, Eric. Law and Finance in Illinois, 1868-1874. ICPSR09680-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2010-02-24. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09680.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09680.v2
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation (SES-87-10230)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: cities, constitutions, corporations, counties, delegates, demographic characteristics, demographic statistics, historical data, local government, nineteenth century, party membership, population, railroads, towns, voting behavior, voting districts
Geographic Coverage: Illinois
Date of Collection:
Data Types: administrative records data
(1) The Illinois Handbook of Information for the Year 1870 (Springfield, IL, 1870), and (2) Journal of the Constitutional Convention of the State of Illinois (Springfield, IL, 1870).
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
Original ICPSR Release: 1992-05-12
- 2010-02-24 SAS, SPSS, and Stata setups have been added to this data collection.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 3 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)