National Archive of Criminal Justice Data
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Retail-Level Heroin Enforcement and Property Crime in 30 Cities in Massachusetts, 1980-1986 (ICPSR 9667)
Principal Investigator(s): Kleiman, Mark A.R.; Putala, Christopher E.
In undertaking this data collection, the principal investigators sought to determine (1) whether police enforcement against drug crimes, specifically heroin crimes, had any influence on the rates of nondrug crimes, and (2) what effect intensive law enforcement programs against drug dealers had on residents where those programs were operating. To achieve these objectives, data on crime rates for seven successive years were collected from police records of 30 cities in Massachusetts. Data were collected for the following offenses: murder, rape, robbery, assault, larceny, and automobile theft. The investigators also interviewed a sample of residents from 3 of those 30 cities. Residents were queried about their opinions of the most serious problem facing people today, their degree of concern about being victims of crime, and their opinions of the effectiveness of law enforcement agencies in handling drug problems.
These data are freely available.
Kleiman, Mark A.R., and Christopher E. Putala. Retail-Level Heroin Enforcement and Property Crime in 30 Cities in Massachusetts, 1980-1986. ICPSR09667-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1998. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09667.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09667.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice (85-IJ-CX-0027)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: assault, auto theft, citizen attitudes, crime control, crime rates, drug law enforcement, drug law offenses, drug related crimes, drug traffic, larceny, law enforcement agencies, murder, rape, robbery
Geographic Coverage: Massachusetts, United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Part 1: Thirty cities in Massachusetts during 1980-1986. Parts 2-4: All residents in Massachusetts during 1986.
Data Types: administrative records data, survey data
Sample: A stratified random sample was used in Parts 2-4.
official police records and telephone interviews
- Standardized missing values.
Original ICPSR Release: 1992-01-10
- 2006-03-30 File CB9667.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1998-09-17 SAS and SPSS data definition statements are now available for this collection. Also, missing data codes have been standardized, and data and documentation have been reformatted. In addition, the codebook and data collection instrument are now available as a PDF file.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)