National Archive of Criminal Justice Data
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Gender of Prisoners Admitted to State and Federal Institutions in the United States, 1926-1987 (ICPSR 9517)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics; Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research
This data collection includes tabulations of annual adult admissions to federal and state correctional institutions by gender for the years 1926 through 1987. The two data files have identical structures: Part 1 includes information on male admissions, and Part 2 includes information on female admissions. The 3,348 cases in each part include one case for each of the 62 years of the collection for each of the following 54 categories: the 50 states, the District of Columbia, federal institutional totals, state cumulative totals, and United States totals (the sum of the federal and state cumulative totals). The figures were drawn from a voluntary reporting program in which each state, the District of Columbia, and the Federal Bureau of Prisons reported summary and detailed statistics, as part of the National Prisoner Statistics reporting series. Each file also includes individual state and United States general population figures.
These data are freely available.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics, and Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research. GENDER OF PERSONS ADMITTED TO STATE AND FEDERAL INSTITUTIONS IN THE UNITED STATES, 1926-1987. ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09517.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09517.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: (1) All adult felons serving a sentence in a federal or state institution (prior to 1972) and (2) all persons sentenced as adults or youthful offenders and whose maximum sentence length was a year and a day or longer (1972 and after).
Data Types: aggregate data
(1) NATIONAL PRISONER STATISTICS report series, and (2) Federal Bureau of Prisons publications
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1991-10-23
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 3 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-09-19 SAS data definition statements have been added to this collection, and the SPSS data definition statements were updated.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.