Freedom and Tolerance in the United States, 1987 (ICPSR 9454)
Principal Investigator(s): Gibson, James L.
The purpose of this data collection was to examine political tolerance and perceptions of personal freedom in the United States. Respondents were questioned regarding their feelings about social groups currently active in politics (e.g., the group most disliked, whether its members should be banned from running for public office, teaching in public schools, and making public speeches, and whether this group was threatening to the American way of life). Respondents also were asked for their opinions of government agencies, Congress, and the Supreme Court, including whether the government should allow public meetings to oppose the government and whether the power of the Supreme Court to declare acts of Congress unconstitutional should be eliminated. Additionally, respondents were queried about their political behavior (e.g., frequency of political discussions with co-workers, friends, casual acquaintances, and neighbors), about a variety of psychological and philosophical issues, and about their alcoholic drinking behavior.
One or more data files in this study are set up in a non-standard format, such as card image format. Users may need help converting these files before they can be used for analysis.
Gibson, James L. Freedom and Tolerance in the United States, 1987. ICPSR09454-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1991. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09454.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09454.v2
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation (SES 86-06642)
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: English-speaking persons 18 years of age and over, living in noninstitutional arrangements within the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
The raw data for this collection contain seven 92-character records per case.
Sample: A panel (re-interview) was selected randomly, within gender strata, from respondents of 1987 General Social Survey, which was a national probability sample with a special oversample of Black respondents.
personal interviews, and self-enumerated questionnaires
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
Original ICPSR Release: 1991-03-05
- 2010-02-23 SAS, SPSS, and Stata setups have been added to this data collection.
Related Publications (?)
Browse Matching Variables
3. HERE IS A LIST OF THE GROUPS WE HAVE BEEN TALKING (HAND RESPONDENT CARD B) OF THE GROUPS THAT ARE ON THE LIST, WHICH DO YOU DISLIKE THE MOST? A. MOST DISLIKED GROUP
3. HERE IS A LIST OF THE GROUPS WE HAVE BEEN TALKING (HAND RESPONDENT CARD B) OF THE GROUPS THAT ARE ON THE LIST, WHICH DO YOU DISLIKE THE MOST? B. WHICH IS YOUR SECOND MOST DISLIKED GROUP?
3. HERE IS A LIST OF THE GROUPS WE HAVE BEEN TALKING (HAND RESPONDENT CARD B) OF THE GROUPS THAT ARE ON THE LIST, WHICH DO YOU DISLIKE THE MOST? C. AND YOUR THIRD MOST DISLIKED GROUP?
3. HERE IS A LIST OF THE GROUPS WE HAVE BEEN TALKING (HAND RESPONDENT CARD B) OF THE GROUPS THAT ARE ON THE LIST, WHICH DO YOU DISLIKE THE MOST? D. FINALLY, WHICH IS YOUR FOURTH MOST DISLIKED GROUP?
[INTERVIEWER: WRITE THE NAME OF THE FOUR MOST DISLIKED GROUPS, IN ORDER OF DISLIKE, ON THE FLAP.] [INTERVIEWER: ASK WITH REGARD TO THE MOST DISLIKED GROUP FROM THE FLAP] _________________[WRITE IN NAME OF GROUP]
[INTERVIEWER: ASK WITH REGARD TO THE SECOND MOST DISLIKED GROUP FROM THE FLAP] ______________________ (WRITE IN NAME OF GROUP)
INTERVIEWER: IS THE KU KLUX KLAN LISTED AS THE MOST DISLIKED OR SECOND MOST DISLIKED GROUP ON THE FLAP? YES...... (ASK Q. 18 ABOUT 3RD MOST DISLIKED GROUP).....1 NO....... (ASK Q. 18 ABOUT KU KLUX KLAN) ...............2 _______________________ [WRITE IN NAME OF GROUP ASKED ABOUT]
[INTERVIEWER: SELECT THE MOST DISLIKED GROUP ON THE FLAP THAT IS NOT THE COMMUNISTS OR THE KU KLUX KLAN, AND THAT WAS NOT USED IN THE LAST Q.] _____________________ [WRITE IN NAME OF GROUP ASKED ABOUT]
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)