National Archive of Criminal Justice Data
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Census of Public and Private Juvenile Detention, Correctional, and Shelter Facilities, 1988-1989: [United States] (ICPSR 9445)
Alternate Title: Children in Custody (CIC), 1989
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
These data provide information on the population and characteristics of public and private juvenile facilities in operation in the United States on February 15, 1989. Annual data for the 1988 calendar year are included as well. Questions designed to categorize each facility were asked concerning the number of adults held, the juvenile majority's custodial authority, reason for custody, and access to the community, as well as the facility's security arrangements, capacity, age, plans for renovation, type of administration, and setting. Extensive data on the total juvenile residential population of each facility was also gathered. The total population is broken down by admission type, legal status, type of offense, race, and age. The collection also contains information on the population's movement and average length of stay, as well as each facility's average daily population, number and types of personnel, educational, treatment, and medical programs available, annual expenditures, court orders and consent decrees, number of juvenile deaths that year, and availability of juvenile records.
These data are freely available.
United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. Census of Public and Private Juvenile Detention, Correctional, and Shelter Facilities, 1988-1989: [United States]. ICPSR09445-v3. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2007-10-19. doi:10.3886/ICPSR09445.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09445.v3
This survey was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Juveniles in public and private juvenile detention, correctional, and shelter facilities in operation in the United States on February 15, 1989.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
This study was originally released as JUVENILE DETENTION AND CORRECTIONAL FACILITY CENSUS, 1988-1989: PUBLIC FACILITIES.
Conducted by the U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census.
Sample: Residential programs and group homes in operation on February 15, 1989, were included in the census if they housed three or more residents, if at least 50 percent of the residents were juveniles, and if accused or adjudicated delinquents and status offenders were at least 1 percent of their average daily population. In California, however, all California Youth Authority Facilities were included in the census. Juvenile facilities operated as part of adult jails were excluded, as were nonresidential facilities, facilities exclusively for drug or alcohol abusers or nonoffenders, and federal juvenile correctional facilities.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1987-01-12
- 2007-10-19 Data files were updated to include ready-to-go files and the ASCII codebook was converted to PDF format.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 4 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 3 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~14 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.