National Archive of Criminal Justice Data
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Deterrent Effects of Antitrust Enforcement [United States]: the Ready-Mix Concrete Industry, 1970-1980 (ICPSR 9040)
Principal Investigator(s): Block, Michael K.; Nold, Fredrick C.
These data were collected to explore the relationship between profit levels in the concrete industry and the antitrust enforcement activities undertaken by the United States Department of Justice in 19 cities over an 11-year period. The data collection is composed mainly of published aggregate data on ready-mix concrete costs and prices. Profits and estimates of collusive markups in this industry can be calculated and related to antitrust enforcement efforts. Variables include measures of wages and materials costs, prices of concrete products, number of building permits issued, gasoline prices, the consumer price index, number of laborers employed, unemployment rates, measures of change in the Department of Justice's Antitrust Division budget, change in number of DOJ permanent enforcement personnel, and number of antitrust criminal actions initiated by DOJ against ready-mix concrete users, producers of related products, producers of substitutes for ready-mix products, and ready-mix producers.
These data are freely available.
Block, Michael K., and Fredrick C. Nold. Deterrent Effects of Antitrust Enforcement [United States]: the Ready-Mix Concrete Industry, 1970-1980. ICPSR09040-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2002. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09040.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09040.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice (80-IJ-CX-0105)
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Data Types: aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
The data collection is a pooled time-series of cross-sections: data are presented for the years 1970-1980, although data for 1969 are available for a limited number of variables. The three files supply data for varying units of time (months, quarter, years.
Sample: The sample consists of 19 representative cities in the United States.
(1) ENGINEERING NEWS RECORD, (2) Bureau of Labor Statistics' INDUSTRY WAGE SURVEY, (3) Bureau of Labor Statistics' EMPLOYMENT AND EARNINGS, (4) Bureau of Labor Statistics' GEOGRAPHIC PROFILES OF EMPLOYMENT AND UNEMPLOYMENT, (5) Bureau of Labor Statistics' CONSUMER ENERGY PRICES, (6) OIL AND GAS JOURNAL, (7) Bureau of Census' HOUSING UNITS AUTHORIZED BY BUILDING PERMITS AND PUBLIC CONTRACTS, and (8) STATISTICAL ABSTRACT OF THE UNITED STATES
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1988-10-25
- 2006-03-30 File CB9040.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 2002-07-18 SAS and SPSS data definition statements were created for this collection and the codebook was converted to PDF.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)