Occupational Measures from the Dictionary of Occupational Titles for 1980 Census Detailed Occupations (ICPSR 8942)
Principal Investigator(s): England, Paula, University of Texas; Kilbourne, Barbara, University of Texas
This collection provides average scores on selected variables from the Dictionary of Occupational Titles for 1980 Census occupational categories. The dataset was prepared using a sample of individuals from the 1970 Census whose occupations had been coded with both 1970 and 1980 Census detailed occupational codes. This file, known as the Treiman file, was merged with selected variables from the FOURTH EDITION DICTIONARY OF OCCUPATIONAL TITLES, using 1970 occupational categories as the merge variable. A score on each Dictionary of Occupational Titles (DOT) variable was then computed for each 1980 occupational category. Included among the DOT variables were such characteristics as (1) level of complexity at which the worker functions in terms of data, people, and things, (2) training required to do the job, (3) verbal, numerical, spatial, and other aptitudes needed to perform the job, (4) percent of workers in the job with a preference for a specific type of job activity such as abstract and creative activity or activity requiring business contact with people, (5) temperamental attributes such as adaptability to performing under stress and adaptability to performing repetitive work, (6) physical demands of the job, and (7) environmental conditions under which the work is performed. Measures of mean hourly and annual earnings for both men and women in each occupation and number of men and women in each occupation also are included.
England, Paula, and Barbara Kilbourne. Occupational Measures from the Dictionary of Occupational Titles for 1980 Census Detailed Occupations. ICPSR08942-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2013-06-20. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08942.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08942.v2
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Unit of Observation: occupational titles
Universe: All 1980 detailed Census occupational categories.
Data Types: aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
A related dataset is available from ICPSR: DICTIONARY OF OCCUPATIONAL TITLES (DOT), PARTS I AND II (ICPSR 7845). Part I is CURRENT POPULATION SURVEY 1971, AUGMENTED WITH DOT CHARACTERISTICS. Part II is FOURTH EDITION DICTIONARY OF DOT SCORES FOR 1970 CENSUS CATEGORIES.
Time Method: Cross-sectional
(1) A sample from the 1970 United States Census, (2) FOURTH EDITION DICTIONARY OF OCCUPATIONAL TITLES. United States Department of Labor, 1977. (3) FOURTH EDITION DICTIONARY OF OCCUPATIONAL TITLES SCORES FOR 1970 CATEGORIES. Committee on Occupational Classification and Analysis, National Academy of Sciences, January 1981.
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1989-01-10
- 2013-06-20 SPSS, SAS, and Stata setup files, as well as SPSS and Stata system files, a SAS transport (CPORT) file, and a tab-delimited data file have been added to the collection. The codebook was updated.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~21 citations associated with this study
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)