County Business Patterns, 1984 [United States]: U.S. Summary, State, and County Data (ICPSR 8665)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Commerce. Bureau of the Census
This data collection supplies the total number of business establishments, mid-March employment figures, and first-quarter and annual payrolls for 1984 at the county, state, and national levels. Also provided are data on the number of establishments by employment-size class.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
United States Department of Commerce. Bureau of the Census. County Business Patterns, 1984 [United States]: U.S. Summary, State, and County Data. ICPSR08665-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2012-11-05. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08665.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08665.v2
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: agricultural services, business conditions, businesses, construction industry, counties, economic conditions, employment, finance, manufacturing industry, mining industry, public utilities, real estate, retail industry, service industry, trade, transportation, wages and salaries
Smallest Geographic Unit: county
Geographic Coverage: United States
Unit of Observation: state, county within state
Universe: All business establishments in the 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia with one or more paid employees, excluding agriculture production, railroad, government, and household employment.
Data Types: administrative records data, aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
Each of the county files corresponds to a Census Geographic Division.
To identify values on the SIC CODE variables, please use the "1984 SIC Codes List", which presents the SIC codes in the same format that is used in the datasets.
Bureau of the Census Standard Statistical Establishment List (SSEL)
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1987-05-19
- 2012-11-05 SPSS, SAS and Stata setup files, as well as SPSS and Stata system files, a SAS transport (CPORT) file, and a tab-delimited data file have been added to the collection. The datasets have been edited to remove records with no valid data. The "1984 SIC Codes List" has been removed from DS12; it has been converted to PDF, and included in the codebook for all parts.
- 2006-01-18 File CB8665.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)