National Archive of Criminal Justice Data
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
National Crime Surveys: National Sample of Rape Victims, 1973-1982 (ICPSR 8625)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
The purpose of this study was to provide an in-depth look at rapes and attempted rapes in the United States. Part 1 of the collection offers data on rape victims and contains variables regarding the characteristics of the crime, such as the setting, the relationship between the victim and offender, the likelihood of injury, and the reasons why rape is not reported to police. Part 2 contains data on a control group of females who were victims of no crime or of crimes other than rape. The information contained is similar to that found in Part 1.
These data are available to the general public.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. NATIONAL CRIME SURVEYS: NATIONAL SAMPLE OF RAPE VICTIMS, 1973-1982. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. 3rd ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 2000. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08625.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08625.v3
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All persons in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
The codebooks and data collection instrument for this collection are provided by ICPSR as Portable Document Format (PDF) files. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Website.
This collection of rape cases was taken from the NATIONAL CRIME SURVEY: NATIONAL SAMPLE, 1973-1983 (ICPSR 7635). The definition of rape in the survey includes attempts that involve a verbal threat of rape only. The data in Part 1 were collected at the incident level. Part 2 data were collected at the person level, with information for up to four incidents per person.
Sample: A stratified multistage cluster sample.
personal interviews from the NATIONAL CRIME SURVEY: NATIONAL SAMPLE, 1973-1983 (ICPSR 7635)
Original ICPSR Release: 1987-01-12
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 2000-09-29 SPSS data definition statements were updated and SAS data definition statements were added to this collection. Also, the codebooks and data collection instrument are now available in two PDF files.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~19 citations associated with this study
- List ~1 citations that match your query
Top Publications that Match your Query
Browse Matching Variables
DS1: Rape Victims
DS2: Other Crime Victims and Nonvictims
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)