This study is maintained and distributed by the National Addiction & HIV Data Archive Program (NAHDAP). NAHDAP is supported by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
National Youth Survey [United States]: Wave II, 1977 (ICPSR 8424)
Alternate Title: NYS 1977
Principal Investigator(s): Elliott, Delbert, University of Colorado. Institute of Behavioral Science
Youth data for the second wave of the National Youth Survey are contained in this data collection. The first wave was conducted in 1976 (ICPSR 8375). Youths were interviewed in early 1978 about events and behavior that had occurred in 1977. Data were collected on demographic and socioeconomic status of respondents, aspirations, social isolation, normlessness, labeling, attitudes toward deviance, exposure to delinquent peers, commitment to delinquent peers, sex roles, interpersonal violence, exposure to substance abuse, self-reported delinquency, drug and alcohol use, and victimization.
These data are available to the general public.
Elliott, Delbert. National Youth Survey [United States]: Wave II, 1977. ICPSR08424-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-08-26. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08424.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08424.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health. National Institute of Mental Health (MH27552)
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (78-JN-AX-0003)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: aspirations, behavior problems, career goals, community involvement, delinquent behavior, depression (psychology), deviance, drugs, expectations, family conflict, family relations, health services utilization, life events, neighborhood conditions, parental attitudes, parents, peer influence, sexual behavior, social attitudes, social behavior, social isolation, social values, socioeconomic status, spouse abuse, substance abuse, teenage pregnancies, tobacco use, victimization, young adults, youths
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: Individual
Universe: Youths in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
Produced by the University of Colorado, Behavioral Research Institute at Boulder, CO.
Sample: National sample of the American youth population selected by area probability sampling.
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Restrictions: Users are reminded by the United States Department of Health and Human Services that these data are to be used solely for statistical analysis and reporting of aggregated information and not for the investigation of specific individuals or treatment facilities.
Original ICPSR Release: 1985-10-09
- 2008-08-26 New files were added. These files included one or more of the following: Stata setup, SAS transport (CPORT), SPSS system, Stata system, SAS supplemental syntax, and Stata supplemental syntax files, and a tab-delimited ASCII data file. Some other minor edits were made to improve the data and documentation.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~186 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)