National Archive of Criminal Justice Data
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Juvenile Detention and Correctional Facility Census, 1982-1983 (ICPSR 8205)
Alternate Title: Census of Children in Custody (CIC) 1983
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention; United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This is the seventh in a series of surveys conducted by the Bureau of the Census. It contains information on state and local public residential facilities operated by the juvenile justice system during the fiscal year 1982. Each data record is classified into one of six categories: (1) detention center, (2) shelter, (3) reception or diagnostic center, (4) training school, (5) ranch, forestry camp, or farm, and (6) halfway house or group home. Data include state, county, and city identification, level of government responsible for the facility, type of agency, agency identification, resident population by sex, age range, detention status, and offense, and admissions and departures of population. Also included in the data are average length of stay, staffing expenditures, capacity of the facility, and programs and services available.
These data are freely available.
United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, and United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics. Juvenile Detention and Correctional Facility Census, 1982-1983. ICPSR08205-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2007-11-28. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08205.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08205.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Juvenile detention and correctional facilities operated by state or local governments in the United States in 1982 and 1983.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
Conducted by the United States Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Created online analysis version with question text.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1985-01-11
- 2007-11-28 Data file was updated to include ready-to-go files and the ASCII codebook was converted to PDF format.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-02-25 SAS data definition statements are now available for this collection and the SPSS data definition statements were updated.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~12 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.