National Archive of Criminal Justice Data
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Crime, Fear, and Control in Neighborhood Commercial Centers: Minneapolis and St. Paul, 1970-1982 (ICPSR 8167)
Principal Investigator(s): McPherson, Marlys; Silloway, Glenn; Frey, David
The major objective of this study was to examine how physical characteristics of commercial centers and demographic characteristics of residential areas contribute to crime and how these characteristics affect reactions to crime in mixed commercial-residential settings. Information on physical characteristics includes type of business, store hours, arrangement of buildings, and defensive modifications in the area. Demographic variables cover racial composition, average household size and income, and percent change of occupancy. The crime data describe six types of crime: robbery, burglary, assault, rape, personal theft, and shoplifting.
These data are freely available.
McPherson, Marlys, Glenn Silloway, and David Frey. Crime, Fear, and Control in Neighborhood Commercial Centers: Minneapolis and St. Paul, 1970-1982. ICPSR08167-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1998. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08167.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08167.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice (80-IJ-CX-0073)
Scope of Study
Date of Collection:
Universe: All commercial and residential areas in Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota.
Data Types: survey data
Sample: Sampling was based on three criteria: percent minority change from 1970 to 1980, an observational measure of disorder in each commercial center, and person crime rates for the entire commercial and residential area.
personal interviews, official police department records, and city assessors' records
Original ICPSR Release: 1987-01-12
- 2006-03-30 File CB8167.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1998-04-28 The data have been restructured to one record per case, and SAS and SPSS data definition statements have been prepared. Also, the codebooks and data collection instruments are now available as a Portable Document Format file.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)