National Archive of Criminal Justice Data
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Principal Investigator(s): Schreiber, Jan E.
This data collection was designed to determine the nature and extent of victimization in state prisons across the nation. In particular, it examines topics such as prison living conditions, prison programs, prison safety, and inmates' participation in or victimization by other inmates with respect to several types of property and bodily crimes. Also presented are a set of attitudinal measures dealing with inmates' thoughts and perceptions on a variety of subjects, including their reactions to general statements about prison life and to a series of hypothetical situations.
These data are freely available.
Schreiber, Jan E. Inmate Victimization in State Prisons in the United States, 1979. ICPSR08087-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1999. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08087.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08087.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Inmates in state prisons in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Sample: Stratified, randomly drawn sample of institutions.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-03-18
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1999-04-26 SAS and SPSS data definition statements have been added to this collection. Also, the codebook has been converted to a PDF file.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.