This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Citizen Participation and Community Crime Prevention, 1979: Chicago Metropolitan Area Survey (ICPSR 8086)
This survey was conducted as part of the Citizen Participation and Community Crime Prevention project at the Center for Urban Affairs and Policy Research, Northwestern University. The project was conducted to gain a deeper understanding of the wide range of activities in which the American public engages to be secure from crime. In particular, this survey was designed to identify the scope of anti-crime activities and investigate the processes that facilitate or inhibit the public's involvement in those activities. The geographical area for the survey was defined by the "commuting basin" of Chicago, excluding several independent cities and their suburbs (e.g., Aurora, Waukegan, and Joliet) on the northern and western fringes of that area, and excluding all areas in Indiana. Interviewing was carried out by the Survey Research Laboratory at the University of Illinois during June through August 1979. Information was gathered on people's opinions toward safety, their involvement with crime prevention activities, and the quality of life in their neighborhoods. In addition, data were assembled from Census Bureau and police reports for each community area in which respondents lived in the years immediately preceding the survey.
The public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
Lavrakas, Paul J., and Wesley G. Skogan. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION AND COMMUNITY CRIME PREVENTION, 1979: CHICAGO METROPOLITAN AREA SURVEY. Conducted by Northwestern University, Center for Urban Affairs and Policy Research. 2nd ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08086.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08086.v2
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice (78-NI-AX-0111)
Scope of Study
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-07-12
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-09-26 SAS and SPSS data definition statements have been added to this collection. Also, a reformatted logical record length data file is now available.
- List all ~16 citations associated with this study
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.