Euro-barometer 15: Membership in the European Community, April 1981 (ICPSR 7959)
Principal Investigator(s): Rabier, Jacques-Rene; Riffault, Helene; Inglehart, Ronald
This round of Euro-Barometer surveys queried respondents on standard Euro-Barometer measures, such as how satisfied they were with their present life, whether they attempted to persuade others close to them to share their views on subjects they held strong opinions about, and whether they discussed political matters. Additional questions focused on the respondents' knowledge of and opinions on the European Community (EC), including whether their country had benefited from being an EC member, and the extent of their personal interest in EC matters. Another major focus of the surveys was membership in the EC. Respondents were asked about the effects of EC membership on such matters as energy, employment, trade, tourism, and relations between nations. Respondents also were asked for opinions on various EC policies. Television viewing habits and interest in French culture were also measured for a subset of respondents in Great Britain, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, and Italy. Demographic information about respondents includes age, sex, marital status, number of persons and children living in respondent's home, family income, occupation, age upon completion of full-time education, occupation of head of household, left-right self placement, size of town where respondent lives, and number of people working at respondent's workplace. Indices are included as created by the original investigators. Euro-Barometer 15 contains data gathered from representative samples of respondents who were interviewed in each of the ten nations of the EC (Germany, Great Britain, Denmark, Italy, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Ireland, the Netherlands, and Greece) in April 1981.
Series: Eurobarometer Survey Series
Rabier, Jacques-Rene, Helene Riffault, and Ronald Inglehart. EURO-BAROMETER 15: MEMBERSHIP IN THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITY, APRIL 1981. Conducted by Faits et Opinions, Paris. 2nd ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 2002. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07959.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07959.v2
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation (SOC-7914619)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: attitudes, consumer attitudes, economic development, economic integration, employment, energy policy, European unification, European Union, international relations, international trade, life satisfaction, nationalism, political influence, public opinion, quality of life, social change, television viewing, tourism
Date of Collection:
Universe: Citizens of the EC aged 15 and over residing in Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Great Britain (including Northern Ireland), Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) The text of the British questionnaire was used in constructing the codebook. (2) In order to produce samples more representative of the French, Dutch, British, and Danish populations, a national weight variable was constructed for those nations. (3) The data collection instruments are provided by ICPSR as Portable Document Format (PDF) files. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-06-27
- View publications for the study (~19)
- View publications for the series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)