Principal Investigator(s): Veroff, Joseph; Douvan, Elizabeth; Kulka, Richard
Funded in 1975 by the National Institute of Mental Health, this data collection proposed to assess the quality of American life and to influence national policy aimed at enhancing mental health resources. This collection contains 262 variables that were also included in AMERICANS VIEW THEIR MENTAL HEALTH, 1957 (ICPSR 3503). The survey queried American adults on various areas in which problems might arise, including marriage, parenthood, employment, and general social relationships. Information about leisure time, past and present physical and mental health, and motives for affiliation, achievement, and power were also sought. In addition, extensive information was collected concerning help-seeking, the readiness of people to use professional help for mental health problems, the particular helpers they used, referral mechanisms, and evaluation of help received.
Veroff, Joseph, Elizabeth Douvan, and Richard Kulka. Americans View Their Mental Health, 1976. ICPSR07948-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1982. doi:10.3886/ICPSR07948.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07948.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health. National Institute of Mental Health
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: achievement, career goals, divorce, employment history, happiness, job satisfaction, leisure, marriage, memberships, mental health, motivation, occupations, parenting skills, preferences, psychological wellbeing, quality of life, self concept, social indicators, social roles, social values
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Americans aged 21 years and older living in private households in the United States in 1976.
Data Types: survey data
Sample: Multistage area probability sample.
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-05-10
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~27 citations associated with this study
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)