This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Electric Utility Rate Demonstration Project: Puerto Rico, 1978-1980 (ICPSR 7888)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Energy
One in a series of studies on customer response to utility regulatory pricing in early 1975, the Puerto Rico demonstration project was carried out by the Federal Energy Administration (FEA) and the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority from 1977 to 1980 in the San Juan Metropolitan Area. The study was an experiment to generate and analyze data on the effects of peak-load pricing on residential electricity consumption. The experimental design featured various time of day rates. Five sets of data resulted from the demonstration: questionnaire survey data from the customers, summary demographic information, utility load reports, weather data, and customer usage records. All five sets are available in this data collection. Parts 3-5 each contain 28 days of data, with Parts 3 and 5 including hourly data. Parts 3-5 also contain identifying information that links their data to the pertinent customer/participant's demographic data in Part 2.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download these data.
U.S. Dept. of Energy. ELECTRIC UTILITY RATE DEMONSTRATION PROJECT: PUERTO RICO, 1978-1980. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1982. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07888.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07888.v1
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: consumer attitudes, consumer behavior, demographic characteristics, econometrics, economic behavior, electric power, electric utilities, energy conservation, energy consumption, public utilities, regulation, utility rates, weather data
Date of Collection:
Universe: Residential customers of the Puerto Rico Electric Power authority in the San Juan Metropolitan Area, including both urban and rural zones.
Data Types: experimental data, survey data, event/transaction data, and administrative records data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) An English translation of the post-test questionnaire survey is available. (2) The start dates that are reported in all five parts of the Puerto Rico demonstration are essential variables in the linkage process. These variables, used in conjunction with the utility code, weather station identification, and customer identification, enable the records of Parts 2-5 to be matched and merged or subset. When corrections of data values were made, an updated record was added to the file, but the originally reported data record was retained. In these instances where there are duplicate records for the same reporting period, the second record has the correct data values.
Sample: A stratified random probability sampling.
(1) personal interviews, (2) utility usage and load records, and (3) National Weather Service records
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-05-11
- 2006-01-18 File CB7888.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.