This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Electric Utility Rate Demonstration Project: Rhode Island, 1977-1978 (ICPSR 7883)
One in a series of studies on customer response to utility regulatory pricing in early 1975, the Rhode Island demonstration project was carried out by the Federal Energy Administration (FEA) and the Blackstone Valley Electric Company from 1977 to 1978. The study was originally titled the Rhode Island Time of Use Rate Experiment and was conducted to generate and analyze data on the effects of peak-load pricing on residential electric consumption. The experimental design featured a seasonally differentiated time of day rate. Three sets of data resulted from the demonstration: questionnaire survey of the customers, summary demographic information, and customer usage records. All three sets are available in this data collection. Part 1 contains post-experimental customer survey responses. Part 5 contains hourly electricity consumption data for the 28 days of the experiment, along with identifying information that links such data to the pertinent customer/participant's demographic data in Part 2.
Data in this collection are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Please log in so we can determine if you are with a member institution and have access to these data files.
U.S. Dept. of Energy. ELECTRIC UTILITY RATE DEMONSTRATION PROJECT: RHODE ISLAND, 1977-1978. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1982. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07883.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07883.v1
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: consumer attitudes, consumer behavior, demographic characteristics, econometrics, economic behavior, electric power, electric utilities, energy conservation, energy consumption, public utilities, regulation, utility rates
(1) Neither utility load nor weather data are available from the Rhode Island demonstration. (2) The start dates that are reported in all three parts of the Rhode Island demonstration are essential variables in the linkage process. These variables, used in conjunction with the utility code, weather station identification, and customer identification, enable the records of Parts 2 and 5 to be matched and merged or subset. When corrections of data values were made, an updated record was added to the file, but the originally reported data record was retained. In these instances where there are duplicate records for the same reporting period, the second record has the correct data values.
Sample: A stratified random probability sample was drawn from three rate category strata: (1) general residential customers, (2) customers with controlled water heating, and (3) electric space heating customers.
(1) personal interviews, (2) telephone interviews, and (3) utility usage records
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-05-11
- 2006-01-18 File CB7883.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.